1. What are the deadlines for applying?

  2. What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts, and which does Biola require?

    Official transcripts are those that are sent directly from the university to Biola. Unofficial transcripts are those given, by mail or by hand, to the student. For admission to Biola, submission of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended is required.

  3. What are the second language proficiency requirements for the programs?

    TESOL: None

    Applied Linguistics: Must test 2 or better (on 5 point Foreign language Service Levels) in either reading/writing or speaking/listening

    PhD: Present evidence of second language acquisition

  4. Do I have to take the GRE?


  5. Can I transfer units into the TESOL or Linguistics certificate program?

    The TESOL and Linguistics certificate programs are non-reducible programs, meaning that the core program requirements cannot be reduced by prior undergraduate learning credits. However, there are 6-9 foundational units required for each certificate or MA, which can be reduced by prior undergraduate learning credits. Also, approved graduate credits can be transferred in, but a minimum of 24 program units must be completed at Biola.

Degree Programs

  1. What programs do you offer? What will each program prepare me to do?

    Please see our comprehensive degree listings.

  2. What is “Essentials of TESOL?” Can I take this as part of my TESOL certificate or MA program?

    The Essentials of TESOL is an intensive five-unit class that runs five days a week for three weeks. You will attend class five hours a day and gain valuable teaching experience, skills and knowledge that will train you to teach the English language. This course is designed as a basic, introductory TESOL class. Someone who is in the MA TESOL or certificate program is not encouraged to take this course because they will cover above and beyond the “essentials” course content within their program.

  3. I want to teach English somewhere. How will a TESOL degree help me?

    If you do the MA TESOL program, you will receive less of the “dealing with language problems” education, and will delve deeper into the TESOL topics, beyond surface methods and theories. You will receive more extensive teaching training in TESOL, including curriculum development and program management.

  4. What's the difference between getting a Certificate in TESOL or the MA TESOL?

    The Certificate will give you the practical skills you need to do well in a classroom teaching English. The MA takes you deeper into the theory of teaching language, curriculum development and program management. If you just want to be equipped for teaching, the certificate is sufficient. If you want to make it more of a career, be able to run an ESL program, or develop your own curriculum, the MA will be good preparation.

Distance Learning

  1. What distance education options are available?

    Modular Formatting: In order to meet the needs of our students who are unable to attend a traditional semester format, CSICS offers a number of courses in Modular formatting. Typical modular courses meet on select weeknights and Saturdays, and typically last for two to three weeks at a time. These courses are staggered so that students can take advantage of more than one modular course in a semester.

    Extension Centers: Designed for students who cannot study full time in the states. Classes in the MA in Intercultural Studies are offered through two extension centers located in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and Saint-Légier-La Chiésaz, Switzerland. These centers offer twice-yearly two-week intensive courses. In Chiang Mai, the classes are 2 weeks in January and two weeks in August. 

    Field Education: Six courses are offered within the Department of Anthropology, Intercultural Education and Missiology that are designed specifically to contribute to your ability to conduct relevant field research, enhance interpersonal and intercultural relationships and increase your effectiveness in cross-cultural work. These courses may be applied towards the M.A. in Intercultural Studies, M.A. in Missions or Ph.D. in Intercultural Education degrees. Tuition for field courses is at a reduced rate.

    MA TESOL Online: The Department of Applied Linguistics & TESOL offers an MA in TESOL completely online. For details visit MA TESOL Online.

  2. Can I take courses in the states at Biola's campus and at one of the extension centers?

    Yes. You can take the intensive courses at the extension centers and take regular classes at Biola's campus during the normal semesters, summer or interterm.

  3. About how long does it take to complete an MA ICS at the extension centers?

    It takes approximately five years to complete the MA ICS. If you also take courses at Biola's La Mirada campus, you can speed up the process.

  4. Does the Ph.D. in Intercultural Education require residency?

    Yes. The Ph.D. coursework requirement is 48 units, and at least 24 units must be completed at the La Mirada Campus.

  5. Who can I contact to set up a visit to Biola's campus?

    Carla Tipton is the University visit coordinator. She will assist you in setting up appointments on campus. Schedule a visit online.

  6. What financial assistance is available?   

    Please visit our financial aid website for more information regarding grants, scholarships and other financial options.

Biola University
13800 Biola Ave. La Mirada, CA 90639
© Biola University, Inc. All Rights Reserved.